This is the sort of pie that Snow White would bake for Grumpy, to cheer him up with chocolate and ice cream and more chocolate.
A chocolate wafer crust is layered with dark chocolate bourbon fudge, ice cream, a bit more fudge, and lightly sweetened whipped cream. I covered half the pie with coffee chocolate chip gelato and the other half with milk chocolate gelato (for my non-coffee lover husband) and they were both amazingly good. No one can eat this pie and stay Grumpy, so I hope you make it! Happy Pi Day!
For the filling:
4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped (I used chocolate chips)
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon Kentucky bourbon
1 to 1 1/2 pints coffee ice cream (or flavor of your choosing)
For the bourbon fudge topping:
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Kentucky bourbon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the whipped cream:
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1. Make the crust: Using a food processor, pulse the wafer cookies into a fine crumb. Mix in the sugar. Pour the melted butter over the crumbs and pulse for a few more seconds to combine. Press the crumbs into the bottom of a greased springform pan and up the sides. Set aside in the refrigerator.
2. Make the filling: Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. In a medium saucepan, bring the cream, butter, and corn syrup to a simmer. Remove the mixture from heat, pour it over the chocolate, and let sit for one minute. Whisk the chocolate mixture until smooth, then whisk in the powdered sugar and bourbon.
3. Spread the filling evenly over the bottom of the pie crust, cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
4. Soften the ice cream in the microwave for 10 seconds. Transfer to a bowl and use a rubber spatula to mash and stir until the ice cream becomes malleable. Spread the ice cream over the chilled fudge filling, and freeze for 1 1/2 hours.
5. Make the fudge topping: In a small pan over low heat, heat the cream, butter, and corn syrup until the mixture begins to simmer. Remove the pan from heat and add the chocolate. Stir in the bourbon. Whisk until the fudge is smooth, then beat until it reaches room temperature (I moved mine to the freezer for a few minutes to speed this process). Pour it over the ice cream & freeze for twenty minutes. If you’d like, you can pour the fudge in a zig zag pattern and stop here, but I liked the lightness/texture added by the whipped cream.
6. Make the whipped cream: Beat the cream with a chilled whisk until soft peaks form. Sprinkle the powdered sugar on top and beat until the peaks become stiff. Spread the whipped cream over the pie, and enjoy!
Adapted from here.