My husband always makes fun of me because right after I eat something salty, I want something sweet, and as soon as I eat something sweet, I demand a salty snack. I end up in this delicious, never-ending battle of the taste buds, but sometimes it’s nice to get my salty & sweet fixes in one bite-sized treat. These donut holes are easy and poppable and the chocolate-pretzel combo satisfied all my cravings (and gave me an excuse to buy another jar of Nutella).
Baked Banana, Nutella, and Pretzel Donut Holes
For the donut holes:
1 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 egg, at room temperature
1 medium-large ripe banana
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
For the Nutella glaze:
1/2 cup Nutella
2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (if you don’t have this on hand, use 1 tablespoon melted butter and 2 tablespoons of milk)
3/4 cup crushed pretzels, for the topping
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 24 cup mini muffin pan.
2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Whisk the sugar, oil, egg, banana, vanilla extract, and milk together. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
4. Using a tablespoon, fill the muffin cups to 3/4 full. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool completely.
5. While the donut holes are cooling, whisk the Nutella and cream together in a small bowl (add a bit more cream if needed to reach desired glaze consistency).
6. Dip the tops of the cooled donut holes into the Nutella, then sprinkle with crushed pretzels!
Donut holes adapted from here.