I know I’m a bit late to the Walter White game, but my husband and I have spent our Christmas break binge-watching Breaking Bad. Watching Walt’s character transform in a matter of days has been such an intense, interesting experience. Jesse’s the only character I’ve found consistently likeable throughout the series, and it’s been heartbreaking to watch Walt manipulate him in the later seasons. I’m pretty sure the only things keeping me going are the crazy patterns on Jesse’s t-shirts and good food, like this creamy baked chicken recipe. It balances healthy and decadent, especially when served with a light side of sautéed kale and bell peppers — the perfect fuel for our Netflix marathon.
So…time to cook, Jesse.
Creamy, Spicy Baked Chicken Legs
3 lbs chicken drumsticks
1/4 cup olive or canola oil
2 teaspoons cajun seasoning salt
1/2 onion, diced
2 teaspoons minced or crushed garlic
3 ripe tomatoes, peeled and cut into eighths
2 tablespoons Italian herbs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cream
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon pepper
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large cast iron skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Season chicken with seasoning salt and brown evenly on all sides. Remove browned chicken and set aside.
3. Remove browned chicken and set aside. Drain oil, leaving one or two tablespoons.
4. Add onions and mixed garlic. Stir for approximately 5 minutes, until onions start to soften.
5. Add milk, cream, tomatoes, Italian herbs, paprika, and pepper. Salt to taste. Stir for a few minutes, then place chicken back in pan.
6. Transfer chicken to oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked. Stir in parsley and serve!Adapted from here.